Friday, September 16, 2011

boston frostin'

This weather makes me feel like a true eastcoaster: It's about as cold as if someone, coming in from the summer air, put a freezing cold drink down on top of me. Boston is frigid, and I am wearing two coats in the morning despite it still being summer. The rain hasn't been bad at all, though.

I work at a small web development company called vermonster, not named after the ice cream but about as air conditioned, and thankfully, I work 9 to 5. I have been told this is untrue of virtually every company my size that works with code, so I am grateful. We do consulting; we spend our workdays coding with clients (who work 9-5; thus we do too), side by side with people who change every couple of months as we finish our projects. We meet new people, we bond closer with each other, or at least that's the idea. The environment is good; people are happy; I'm a little insecure because I'm not that useful yet, but I'm learning fast enough to be confident that I will be. And confident that I will be able to project enough confidence/interpersonal skills to work well with clients, which is important.

As Solomon said, we + Andrew S-H spend most of our time playing starcraft or immersing our brains in various other interesting distractions. I think we are united in our sense that we want to Get Out More, although it's tough. We get home and we're tired, hungry, bewildered at the setting sun. The three of us have a lot of fun though, despite two of us being very confused whenever Solomon calls our shared name. For me the atmosphere of this group's collective friendship remains in our house, although I know things are changing too.

Things I'm doing: I've joined a chorus with many young people and start real rehearsals next week. It's called the Boston Choral Ensemble and it's pretty sweet. I _almost_ decided to join a different chorus called the Cambridge Chamber Singers, and I learned just today that Mickey McCauley joined that choir! The world is small and 'Fords, despite their terrible gas mileage, seem to encompass it. I've been going out to concerts with Matt Stern (and sometimes his step-grandma), which have been fun. I'm feeling good about my life so far; despite my shyness amongst all this newness I haven't really retreated from a social possibility yet, which is important to me. Between quaker meetings, music, and work, I think I have enough social legos to build one of those... you know... lego things that you keep under your bed for an embarrassing number of years. What I mean to say is I feel optimistic about living my life, in these futures we are likely all trying to define, while at the same time retaining connections and drawing on the surplus code of our past.

I like this format of short sharings! We should continue it.
-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment