Monday, September 12, 2011

Once more, slowly. . .ar-kay-tuh.

Unlike the last three posters, I'm not actually that busy, but today is the first day I've had internet (hoooooray, I can feel the horrible withdrawal symptoms receding into memory already) so I'll jump on the life update bandwagon.


So I'm finally getting settled down in Arcata, CA.

It's a strange town of 17,000 people with a big state university. We're snuggled into the redwoods and the government is the green party, so I am back in hippy country big time. The climate is Londonesque, as you can see from the picture, and I think most of the people may be stoned most of the time. It is also not Arcadia California, which is more fun to say but hundreds of miles south.

My life right not now consists of lacklusterishly looking for a job and equally unvigoriously studying for the GRE. There isn't a lot of work in Arcata.

Other than that it's all about setting up our super swell new digs. It's just me and Nathan and it's a townhouse with way cheap rent. Two levels. Back deck. Beautiful kitchen. My god, I'm in love with this house . . . I could write it sonnets. I never knew I could feel this way about a space. Maybe it has to do with sleeping in a car for a bit a while back while looking for places? Anyway, all the strollickers have an open invitation to visit and come stay with us. Arcata does have an airport, and if you make it out here I will cook for you, clean up after you, sing to you, maybe write YOU a sonnet.

Here are some pictures from a couple of days ago.

Still pretty messy and mid-set up, as you can tell.





This is the door.







This is the kitchen.





















This is the deck which also has a creek behind it! Woo creek. I think I sort of suck at taking pictures.

Among recent adventures, two days ago I went on the "skunk train" which is a many hour ride train that takes you though the redwoods while everyone gets quite drunk and then parties in the woods. We didn't get drunk, but had fun watching the strange california neo-hippies and middle aged semi-professional rural sorts get trashed on free beer and fall asleep on the train.


I miss everyone a bunch.

Eastcosters: Everyone fair ok with the recent crazy weather?

Sol: Can you give us the recipe for the homemade Kahlua?

1 comment:

  1. By the by, I haven't said so yet, but this looks like a great house!

    ReplyDelete