Monday, September 12, 2011

O hai there

Hello friends! I too have been super-busy, but would like to briefly update everyone on what I've been up to.

My job at Penn is going well. I'm working with the Drug Discovery group at a center that focuses on a range of neurodegenerative diseases. Most of my work so far has been going towards making preparations of a protein that leads to Alzheimer's, and using that protein to test new drug compounds as well as attempt to discover new things about how the protein fibrillizes. It's a big lab, and there are plenty of young people here too. Since it's connected to Penn, I get some cool benefits and access to stuff. It's interesting being around the campus right now when all the new students are arriving for the first time and undergoing orientation; it makes me think back on Haverford's customs week.

I'm living in my own studio apartment in West Philadelphia, right by Clark Park. It's really working out great. The area is very friendly and feels like a community, and there are always people hanging out, making music, or holding barbeques in the park. There's a farmer's market 1-2 times a week, and it's less than a mile's walk to work. My apartment itself is quite small and one room (I will include pics once it's tidier), but is perfect for my needs right now. I'm very much enjoying living on my own. I've also had a lot of culinary adventures; this past week has included ventures into stuffed acorn squash, buckwheat banana pancakes, frittata, and multitudes of
blueberry muffins, now that I have a muffin tray that fits my toaster oven. (I would share pics, but usually things get eaten before I remember to take them.) I have also discovered my new favorite GreenThing, Kale. Does anyone else like Kale? It's cooool. :O Why did we never have this in Quaker House? It's like the perfect hippie alternative weird vegetabley food thing, right up there with quinoa. (love it!)

Oh, my kitchen = two electric burners, a toaster oven, a mini fridge, and enough counter space to almost fit one cutting board, which makes my culinary exploits even more impressive.

I've been going to a lot of live concerts lately - this weekend I saw Incubus, the other week I saw Ke$ha (Because I'm that classy!) It's really awesome being right in the middle of everything and so close by to all these amazing things. If anyone wants to attend any concerts in Philly or stay the night at some point, potentially in conjunction with a 'ford visit, let me know! I haven't visited any of our friends at college yet this semester, but if anyone wanted to coordinate that together, I'd be down.

Can't think of anything else to say!

my-my-my-my, like pelican fly;
-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment